Do you envision every employee in your organization using the scientific method for problem solving in their daily work? Can the operational leaders in your organization teach and coach others how to practice this way of thinking?
The A3 Thinking Learning Cycle consists of a 10-12 week cycle in which leaders participate in classroom education to learn the concepts in John Shook’s book, Managing to Learn in a modular approach. Participants also receive one-on-one coaching from an experienced coach in between sessions while they practice what they have learned in the previous sessions. Assumptions for the 10-12 week A3 Thinking Learning Cycle include:
- Learning by doing is reinforced by practicing between workshop days over a 10-12 week timeline.
- Practicing A3 Thinking together in a focused work group / department increases the likelihood of developing a supportive practice field.
- Supporting key leaders with practicing their role (Sanderson) in parallel with team members developing A3 Thinking skills (Porter) encourages the creation of an environment that facilitates A3 Thinking “Do your A3.”
- Coaching leaders between workshop days 1, 2 and 3 supports the importance of them becoming leaders of problem solving.
- Using existing meeting structures for catchball and coaching reinforces “this is what problem solving looks like at work” rather than “I took a problem-solving course” mentality.
At the end of the A3 Thinking Learning Cycle, participants will be able to:
- Explore the requirements of sound A3 Thinking and management following the stages of learning illustrated in the Managing to Learn.
- Develop their own eyes and ears to recognize effective A3 stories. Participants will read several A3s and practice coaching the authors to improve them. They will then be given “ready for authorization” versions of the A3s and asked to determine how they are more effective and why they are more effective than the originals.
Create the Title, Background, Current Situation, Goal, Analysis and Recommendations/Proposed Countermeasures and Plan sections of an A3 for a problem-solving responsibility in their own work. Participants will work in small groups to read, discuss and evaluate each other’s A3s. They will coach each other as authors of their respective A3s offering guidance to consider ways their P-D-C-A stories could be improved.
Duration: 10-12 Weeks
Faculty: Margie Hagene
Who Should Attend: Clinical and nonclinical leaders across the healthcare industry
This education experience is available for onsite delivery for your teams upon request. For more information, please contact our Education Team at 920-659-7471 or [email protected].