Mercy St. Louis shares how their PI Team is helping in this time of crisis.
A Vice President of Process Improvement and a Lean Specialist are managing the day-to-day process development, questions fielding, and workflow development for:
• Workflow and criteria for COVID-19 testing for physicians and providers
• Database and process for notifying physicians and patients of results
• Infection control processes and workflows, including PPE standards, education, and electronic mechanism for observations by PPE Evaluation Personnel (PPEEPs)
• PPE conservation practices and processes, including monitoring by PPEEPs ensure compliance; supplies inventory updates 2X day
• Process for donations of PPE, sources, and resources for emergency backup options, such as handsewn items
• Visitor policies and restrictions, including the screening criteria and processes
• Patient/Family communication process with passcodes
• Ongoing labor pool resource and database process
• MD/provider hotlines (ring into Command Center) for vetting testing criteria and process
• COVID unit patient placement, maps, and flow
• Process for “call ahead” for positive patients coming to the ED after a positive result
• Leader and coworker hotlines (ring into Command Center) for vetting FAQs (to relieve Employee Health and Infection Prevention nurses)
• Assistance with process/workflows for offsite testing and evaluation sites
• Manage daily updates documentation for Leaders group and for daily 3pm call
• Monday/Wednesday/Friday 7:45 am webx for larger leaders group communication
• Signage creation and lamination, and other visual management for visitors, screening, restrictions, hand hygiene, etc.
• Management of vital phone numbers
The modified command center is staffed from 7a-7p. In addition to the VP and Lean Specialist, hospital directors serve in the command center for a 6 hour shift from 7a-1p and another from 1p-7p.