Mercy St. Louis shares how their PI Team is helping in this time of crisis.
A Vice President of Process Improvement and a Lean Specialist are managing the day-to-day process development, questions fielding, and workflow development for:
• Workflow and criteria for COVID-19 testing for physicians and providers
• Database and process for notifying physicians and patients of results
• Infection control processes and workflows, including PPE standards, education, and electronic mechanism for observations by PPE Evaluation Personnel (PPEEPs)
• PPE conservation practices and processes, including monitoring by PPEEPs ensure compliance; supplies inventory updates 2X day
• Process for donations of PPE, sources, and resources for emergency backup options, such as handsewn items
• Visitor policies and restrictions, including the screening criteria and processes
• Patient/Family communication process with passcodes
• Ongoing labor pool resource and database process
• MD/provider hotlines (ring into Command Center) for vetting testing criteria and process
• COVID unit patient placement, maps, and flow
• Process for “call ahead” for positive patients coming to the ED after a positive result
• Leader and coworker hotlines (ring into Command Center) for vetting FAQs (to relieve Employee Health and Infection Prevention nurses)
• Assistance with process/workflows for offsite testing and evaluation sites
• Manage daily updates documentation for Leaders group and for daily 3pm call
• Monday/Wednesday/Friday 7:45 am webx for larger leaders group communication
• Signage creation and lamination, and other visual management for visitors, screening, restrictions, hand hygiene, etc.
• Management of vital phone numbers
The modified command center is staffed from 7a-7p. In addition to the VP and Lean Specialist, hospital directors serve in the command center for a 6 hour shift from 7a-1p and another from 1p-7p.
About Sara Thompson
Sara composes and edits the content for the createvalue.org as well as other communications including mass email and social media. If you have ideas on topics that you would like Catalysis to address feel free to reach out to her.
View all posts by Sara Thompson →