Transparency in healthcare is not just about data, or creating analytical reports or posting results to public websites.
It’s really about understanding cost, quality, risks and consequences in a way that allows healthcare organizations to evaluate their performance more completely and to take action faster. For consumers, healthcare transparency means having the right information at the right time and in the right form in order to engage in value based healthcare decision making.
To build a true picture of any healthcare system, we must identify the data that accurately illustrates reality regarding quality and cost, and then publish that data in a way that people understand. Publishing this information triggers action: Doctors manage what gets measured, and what gets measured gets improved.
Full disclosure of treatment quality and cost is an essential building block in creating a competitive, choice-driven system. When everyone is able to see what we are paying for and how much, we can redesign the payment system and reorganize healthcare around the needs of the patient.
Data must be transformed into meaningful, actionable insights:
First we must see, then we can take action. Internal data and reporting systems must talk to one another so that leaders can see what’s happening across organizational silos.
What key business functions or quality indicators are the greatest points of pain in your organization today? What do your data and reporting tools tell you about root cause? Do your analytical systems produce information fast and in a form that helps the front line take appropriate action? Or, are your quality improvement efforts strapped by multiple data stores that don’t talk to each other and a backlog of report requests in IT? Select this link to view a short PowerPoint presentation on the Clinical Business Intelligence Network (CBIN) or learn more about what membership in CBIN can do for you here. An even more detailed FAQ is available here.
- ThedaCare CBI Case Study
- Potent Medicine by John Toussaint, MD
- Lean IT by Mike Orzen and Steven Bell
- December 1, 2014, “Learn from One of the Highest Performing ACOs in the Nation.” Click here for the link.
- August 29, 2014, “ThedaCare’s Analytic Journey.” Click here for the link.
- August 21, 2014, “Finding our Groove With Clinical Business Intelligence in Pediatric Healthcare.” Click here for the link.
- June 10, 2014, “Releasing the Power of Data to Improve Performance.” Click here for the link.
- March 28, 2014, “Using Process Improvement Tools to Get the Clinical Data You Need, Right Now!” Click here for the link.
January 16, 2014, “Real World Evidence: The Very Important Role of the C-Suite in Leading Clinical Business Intelligence.” Click here for the link.
December 9, 2013, “Real World Evidence: The ThedaCare CBI Journey.” Click here for the link.
October 16, 2013, “Real World Evidence: What does it take to lead and align Clinical Business Intelligence Programs for Operational Excellence?” Click here for the link.
August 22, 2013, “Real World Experience: What does it take to build Clinical Business Intelligence to support Continuous Performance Improvement in Healthcare?” Click here for the link.
- August 5, 2013, “Achieving Operational Excellence through Clinical Business Intelligence” Click here for the link.
- June 17, 2013, “Clinical Business Intelligence: Leveraging IT Assets to Achieve Quality and Cost Results More Quickly” Click here for the link.